Just yesterday I celebrated my five-year anniversary with my boyfriend. It’s so crazy (in a totally amazing way) to think that it’s been five years since we were two young, super awkward teenagers. We started dating in grade 11 and were definitely new to it. We had both dated one other person before, but it was high school so nobody really knew what they were doing. With that being said, we’ve lasted this long so we must be doing something right hahaha. Although I believe that relationships work when they’re organic and natural, it would’ve been nice to have a little bit of a guide – especially in the very beginning.
My boyfriend and I knew each other since grade 9 but never really interacted, so I knew the bare minimum about him. We both hung out with multiple friend groups and sometimes those overlapped, but we were both more on the quiet side so introducing ourselves wasn’t exactly either of our first steps. As high school went on and we were in each others lives a little bit more, the feelings started and boy were they strong. It was all fun and so exciting! One thing led to another and we couldn’t stop talking to each other. Eventually that talking turned into dates, which then led to a relationship.
Relationships are supposed to be thrilling and full of happiness, but we all know that the beginning is more often than not going to be a little bumpy. The start of a relationship is all about getting to know each other, but what happens if you can’t think of what to talk about? Well, lucky for you, I’ve compiled a bunch of questions that are perfect to ask your new boo.
– Tell me about your family. Do you have a small or big family? Are you close?
– What was your childhood like?
– Did you have any pets?
– What’s your favourite memory?
– What’s your favourite part of being _________? (e.g. Italian)
– Did you play any sports growing up?
– What do you do in your spare time?
– What type of movies do you like? What’s your favourite, why?
– Do you read? What’s your favourite genre? Favourite book?
– What are some of your hobbies?
– What are you passionate about?
– Do you like to travel? What has been your favourite place?
– Do you have a hidden talent?
– What do you do for a living?
– How did you get interested in your career path?
– What’s your dream job?
– Do you get along with your co-workers?
– What did you want to be when you were little?
– What’s your typical schedule like?
– Did you go to school? What did you study?
– What’s your favourite animal?
– What’s your ideal date?
– Do you have any tattoos/piercings?
– What’s your favourite restaurant? Fave food?
– Do you like to drink?
– What’s a major turn-off? Turn-on?
– What’s your favourite holiday?
There are endless possibilities of things you can talk about on a date or in a relationship, but these are just a sample of the many questions you could ask. Questions are great because they’re meant to create conversation and whether we want to admit it or not, we all like to talk about ourselves a little bit. So by asking each other questions, one of you is bound to think of a story (or multiple), which may lead to a full on conversation.
Although these questions are mainly used in the beginning of a relationship, nobody said you can’t ask them down the road? My boyfriend and I like to ask each other random questions when we’re not watching movies or going out. And to be completely honest, playing quirky little games like this brings us so much closer because we get to be totally honest with each other (not like we aren’t honest all the time but we don’t usually bring out the hard hitting questions over an episode of Game of Thrones).
I truly believe that doing this with your partner will strengthen your relationship while also doing something fun. If you can’t think of questions to ask, just google it and you’ll find a whole bunch.
I hope this list of questions can help you get over the awkward bumps in the beginning of a new relationship or help bring you and your lover a bit closer.
“All you need is love”